You can’t move without boxes, but picking the right ones and getting enough for your move – can feel overwhelming. With so many choices, how do you know where to start? We’ll help you figure out what you need so you can start packing!
Before you move, estimate the size of your home with this chart:
|Type of Box||1-2 Rooms||2-3 Rooms||4-5 Rooms|
Having a variety of different boxes means you will have a box for every item in your home, which is key to an easy move. We have many different boxes for different uses. Here are some boxes to have on hand and what they are used for:
Standard Moving Box Sizes
Moving boxes typically come in sizes from extra-small to extra-large.
- Extra-Small 1.5 — Cubic feet; 16″ x 12″ x 12″. These are great for packing books, and other small items.
- Small — 2.0 Cubic feet; 18″ x 15″ x 12″. These boxes are ideal for packing heavy and dense things such as books, canned goods, or properly wrapped dishes.
- Medium —3.0 Cubic feet; 18″ x 18″ x 16″. Used for office supplies, records, toys, small appliances, decor, photo albums, and most household items.
- Large — 4.0 Cubic feet; 18″ x 18″ x 21″. Best used for pots and pans, countertop appliances, and clothes.
- Extra-large — 5.0 Cubic feet; 18″ x 18″ x 28.5″. These are great boxes for light items such as kitchen utensils, bedding, linens, helmets, and sports balls.
Specialty boxes are ideal for oddly shaped items or those that need extra protection.
- Wardrobe — 48″ Wardrobe Box – 2ft wide, 4.5ft tall. These are large boxes complete with a rod for hanging clothes (tip: place shoes, belts and purses in the bottom).
- China Barrel — 18″ x 18″ x 28″ of thicker cardboard. Used for dishes, glasses, and fragile items.
- Mirror & Picture — 36” x 26” x 4″ (Small size) and 47” x 32” x 4″ (large) Specialty box to protect, mirrors, framed glass and art during transport.
- TV — These come in a variety of sizes available on our website. Placing your flat-screen TV inside a specialty box with a strip of bubble foam over the screen to protect it, is the safest way to transport your entertainment investment.
Need More Help?
If you need more guidance on choosing the boxes for your move, contact the box store!